The City of London and Tower Hamlets Cemetery was opened in 1841.
Between then and 1889 it was recorded that there were 247,000 bodies
interred within it's boundaries.
During world war II the
cemetery was bombed no less then five times, damaging both the Anglican
and Dissenters chapels. In 1966 The Greater London Council brought the
cemetery which it then closed for burials.
Between 1967 and
1972, large areas of headstones were cleared along with both chapels
being demolished, then in 1986 the ownership of the cemetery was given
to the London Borough of Tower Hamlets.
Today the cemetery is a
designated nature reserve with environmental education workshops which
take place in the Soanes Centre classroom, just inside the main entrance
on Southern Grove.
Tower Hamlets Cemetery