Nunhead cemetery is situated 4 miles south of London city center.
Consecrated in 1840, the cemetery occupies 52 acres which rises to 200
feet above sea level at it's highest point, offering extensive views
over the city of London and St Paul Cathedral.
Perhaps the most
striking feature of the cemetery is the imposing gothic chapel which
towers over the underground crypt, the refurbishment of which was
featured in the Channel 4, program "Changing Tombs".
Nunhead fell victim to the 2nd world war which resulted in irreparable
bomb damage to the small Nonconformist Mortuary Chapel, as a result it
was finally demolished in the early 1950's. The crypt at the time was
home to only four coffins which were transferred to the Crypt under the
Nunhead contains many examples of magnificent
monuments erected in memory of the most eminent citizens of the day,
which contrast sharply with the small, simple headstones marking common,
or public, burials. It's formal avenue of towering limes and the Gothic
gloom of the original Victorian planting gives way to paths which
recall the country lanes of a bygone era.